Thursday, June 3, 2010

Garden Update

Our vegetable garden, I'm very sorry to say, is not doing particularly well. Everything has come up out of the ground and looks green, but it's stopped growing. It took me a while to realize it wasn't growing as well as it should because we were dealing with my foot situation for a hundred years (I finally get my walking boot a week from Tuesday). We've had a really rainy season so far, and other people with gardens in the area have said their gardens aren't doing as well as they'd hoped either. Plants can get too much water....especially when they're young. Anyway, I'm trying to be proactive and figure out ways to help the garden. Today, I finally made it out to the garden and thinned the sprouts, choosing only to leave the strongest little plants. Here's one of the weaker carrot sprouts I pulled. It looks like a carrot! That's a little encouraging. And there is new growth on the cucumber and green bean plants....also a little encouraging. The next step now is to add organic fertilizer. I ordered some Liquid Fish and Liquid Seaweed that are supposed to really help the little guys take off. We just have to wait for all this rain to let up before we can feed it to them. Wish us luck.

So much rain. You can't really see the sprouts in the picture...I apologize.


Yum. I'm not looking forward to the smell of this stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, Elyse shared your site with me. Ken and I are garden experts. It's a little too hot to grow carrots in your area right now. Carrots are a "root crop" that prefers coolers temps for growing. Check with your local Extentsion Agency for the Mobile Al planting zone. They have a website that will give you excellent information as for the best time to plant certain vegetables. http://www.aces.edu/homegarden/
    Happy growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rain might have washed out all your microbial friends. Plants need those friends when growing well. Gaia's Garden is an excellent read about permaculture and solving a lot of garden issues. My family has been growing summer crops in Mobile for years; mostly tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers. To solve the "too much" or "not enough" water issues try using the lasagna gardening system.

    ReplyDelete